As previously mentioned I’m putting myself through a grow out challenge for 2014 in attempts to grow long and healthy hair for my wedding day (and beyond) in 2015. Today, I want to share with you the breakdown for my challenge throughout the year.
1. Build (and stick with) a wash routine
– Co-washing my hair once a week.
– Thoroughly shampoo, including an ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinse and deep condition every 2 weeks.
– Do a protein treatment every 6 weeks.
– Clip my ends every 3 months.
As I’m sure many of you know, curly hair is prone to dryness as our curl patterns make it harder for the natural oils in our hair to travel down the hair shaft. It’s easier to break the hair when it’s dry so it’s crucial to keep the hair moisturized at all times. The ends are especially prone to damage as they’re the oldest part of the hair and the most exposed, so it’s important to protect your ends every day. To keep my hair moisturized I plan to:
– Spritz my hair with my moisturizing hair mist every morning and night and seal my ends with raw shea butter.
– After washing, use a leave-in conditioner, followed with raw shea butter to seal and protect the ends.
– Sleep with a satin scarf or satin pillowcase.
3. Low Manipulation
– No heat, which really isn’t a problem as I don’t use heat for anything anyways.
– Wear twists/twist outs weekly, with the possibility of marley twists or yarn braids for a change in the summer.
– Most importantly, I need to keep my hands out of my hair when I’m not styling it. I have a really bad tendency to pull/twirl my hair when sitting around which leads to dry hair and breakage.
4. Dietary Improvements
The last aspect of my grow out challenge is to work towards a healthier lifestyle overall.
– Drink more water throughout the day.
– Keep up with a regular exercise routine.
– Eat better by reducing the amount of processed food I eat and making fruits and veggies my new BFFs.
– SLEEP! Try and get a full 6-7 hours of sleep during the week.
I’ll be updating the blog with my progress and any changes made every 3 months so you all can stay up to date with how my routine is working! I’m really excited to take better control of my hair care and I hope you all will enjoy taking this journey with me!
Thanks for reading! Happy Monday!