Happy Friiiiidayyyy! Whew, what a week, my friends! Can we reflect on the fact that October is practically over and I’m pretty sure Chicago decided to just skip pretty fall weather and go straight to the winter freeze. I could be acting a little overdramatic, but I swear it was just in the 60’s and then all of sudden, BAM! Hello 30 degrees. But I guess that’s Chicago for you
Despite the winter chill, to take us into the weekend I want to talk about my top 10 fall essentials this season. Most of these have become staples in my closet and I swear by them year after year. These are great additions to any fall wardrobe, if you don’t own any of these pieces already, and can easily be mixed and matched with one another creating one versatile fall collection!
1. The Military Jacket – Oh the military jacket, how I love thee! You can layer it under pieces, you can layer it over pieces, you can wear it on it’s own. No matter how you style it, this jacket is a must have! Something about the cool army green color, cargo pockets, and canvas fabric adds a rugged, yet classic feel to any fall attire.
2. The Ankle Boot – I’ll fully admit, I’m a sucker for a chunky, stacked heel ankle boot. Add a touch of fringe or some other design detail? Cue the drooling. If I didn’t have any self control I would probably have a closet full of all sorts of colors and designs. And let’s be honest, the only real reason why I have any self control is solely due to the fact that DCT and I share a closet, and unfortunately he may notice if it started to fill up with mountains of boots.
3. The Leather Pant – I never thought I’d be a big leather pants person, but I’ve noticed they’ve become my go-to for throwing together a quick ensemble. They give a little more texture than a basic legging or black pant, but are still just as versatile.
4. The Chambray Top – Another item that if I didn’t
share a closet have self control I would literally have a collection. Chambray tops are just so easy to wear, layer it under a sweater, tuck it into a pencil skirt, the possibilities are truly endless. I still find new ways to wear my chambray, I even found one while doing research for this post.
5. The Knit Beanie – My love for beanies is a recent development, it’s funny I was never a big hat person until I chopped all my hair off. I just love the way curls look sticking out from under a beanie, plus it makes for a super easy hair day.
6. The Colorful Coat – Everyone needs a colorful statement coat in their fall arsenal. It really can help brighten up those grey and dreary days.
7. The Smoking Loafer – When not wearing ankle boots, I grab my second favorite piece of footwear – the smoking loafer! I love the slightly masculine look of a smoking loafer and how well they pair with everything! They’re perfect for throwing on as you’re running out the door.
8. The Oversized Cardigan – Fact. You can’t survive fall (or winter for that matter) without a chunky & cozy oversized cardigan. The slouchier the better.
9. The Dark Skinny – This item is kind of a no brainer. Tuck them into tall boots, cuff them with ankle booties and flats. A pair of dark skinnies is an essential no matter what the season.
10. The Statement Sweatshirt – And last, but not least, a newcomer to the fall fashion scene, think of the sweatshirt as a modern twist on your basic knit sweater. You can style them the same way, over blouses or under blazers, yet they add an undeniable element of cool to any look.
And there you have it my friends! These are the items you’ll be guaranteed to see me in throughout the rest of the season. Do you have any must-haves you think should be added? Lemme know! Other than that I hope you all have a fantastic weekend!
Thanks for reading! xx